[opendtv] Re: Netflix's Move Onto the Web Stirs Rivalries

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:12:22 -0500

Let me start by saying this, to put things in their proper perspective:

I've already noticed that rate adaptive streaming servers or not, my 1.5 Mb/s broadband connection is getting to be marginal at best. It won't be long before it simply will not keep up with servers, and will have to interrupt and buffer all the time (as opposed to just occasionally). So where is all this huge improvement you claim for H.264, Craig? What I notice is, 1.5 Mb/s USED to be just fine for streaming media when I first got connected, and now it ain't. This the the reality.

I agree that streaming has always been possible, however, the quality has been steadily improving over the past decade. As we are discussing, there are MANY contributing factors; I forgot to mention hardware based decoding in client PCs, which has made it possible to use modern codecs like h.264.

1.5 Mbps is adequate for SD quality; it is clearly not sufficient for HD, which today is typically delivered at a bit rate of 4 Mbps or higher depending on frame rate and complexity.

There is nothing surprising in these pieces you URLed, Craig. Yes, they went to H.264 and they went to AAC audio to improve (marginally) quality at lower bit rates, but this doesn't mean that streaming wasn't possible before. It just means that quality can now be better, in principle, at a given bit rate. The most significant point is that broadband connections improved to the point that the higher quality streaming could actually be used. And streaming media are CONTINUING to demand higher bit rates, as time goes on.

Understood. In order to compete with the HD channels delivered by the MVPDs, it will be necessary to have a broadband service that can sustain 4-10 Mbps for 720P (and 1080@24P).

So, take a close look at the last part of that paragraph. Even a 1.5 Mb/s broadband connection today is not capable of keeping up today's so-called HD streaming media over the web. Do you still wonder why Netflix couldn't make their stuff work in 2003? If your premise was true, and the article's premise, then this much better quality would have been possible without requiring higher broadband rates than initial broadband speeds. But that's just NOT THE CASE.

Most of what Netflix delivers IS NOT HD. This is EQUALLY true for their DVD service and their Internet streaming service. You can get Blu-Ray DVDs from Netflix, but most of their disc inventory is standard DVD which is just 720 x 480P. You can get very good 24P SD at 1.5 Mbps with h.264.

 Channel Adaptive streaming techniques have contributed to performance
 improvements in several areas:

Channel adaptive techniques were possible from the very start of this. I'm talking, the early to mid 1990s. They were built into RTP/RTCP from the start. I'm not saying that these techniques haven't been tweaked over the years, that server software hasn't improved. Of course, they have. I'm just saying, you and the author of the article are simply not seeing the elephant in the room!!

We can't miss you Bert!

;-)

Certainly, if the receiver is upgradeable to H.264, that's the preferred choice.

Not just preferred but cheaper. MPEG-2 license fees were too expensive for broad distribution in PCs.

Far more reasonable license fees were negotiated to make using h.264 economically feasible for PCs and mobile devices.

But even your 30 to 50 percent improvement over MPEG-2 (which by the way is mostly a measure of quality and not a can/cannot do criterion) pales in comparison to the really significant improvement in this equation. Roughly an increase of more than 6.5X in the average broadband connection from 2003 to now, let alone the increase for dial-up users which is close to 100X, and who were then still the majority and are now a rarity.

This discussion has been about improvements in quality over the past decade. h.264 is a significant factor for Internet streaming that was not available in 2003 when Netflix first tried to start a streaming service.

Nobody is arguing that the availability of higher speed broadband service is not ALSO a major factor. Clearly it is a necessity if the Internet is going to compete with the dedicated video networks operates by the MVPDs. And it is equally clear that this is now what is happening, and the MVPDs are very concerned.

Big picture: If the vast majority of Internet users can only get dialup or low speed broadband, the servers will be transmitting low quality streaming media. Even if rate adaptive, the servers will only provide quality to a level they feel is going to be used by most receivers. When the majority of Internet users have broadband, and the average speed (according to the piece you URLed) is 5 Mb/s, the streaming media servers will gradually ramp up quality levels.

These servers now negotiate with devices to determine the type of stream to be served. The negotiations take into account the connection speed, codecs available in the target device, and for paid services, the level of quality that is being purchased. For example, all the brouhaha about Apple not supporting Flash video turned out to be a non issue - the servers simply deliver an h.264 stream instead of a Flash stream.

It is also important to note that this is not about continually increasing the bandwidth used to deliver content to various screens. It IS about the optimization of the streams for the capabilities of the target devices. It makes no sense at all to deliver a 1080P stream to a 3"- 4" display on a smartphone.

In this respect, a broadcast system may need to offer multiple streams to satisfy the needs of different classes of devices. And this is exactly what is happening with broadcasting in the U.S. The primary channels are increasingly HD with multiple SD sub channels, and a chunk of the available bits dedicated to the MHP service, which is optimized for small mobile screens.

So, the fact that you had broadband early on, and yet you only noticed an improvement subsequent to getting broadband, proves nothing more than the servers hadn't yet accommodated higher speed broadband. Not that they COULDN'T. They didn't, because it wasn't worth their while.

Clearly I wasted my time educating you about the improvements that have taken place over the past decade.

Nothing new here...