[opendtv] Re: Netflix's Move Onto the Web Stirs Rivalries

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:12:07 -0600

Monty Solomon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/business/25netflix.html

Netflix might have jumped the gun when it tried direct downloads of movies,
several years ago. I don't see the new streaming service as being anything
particularly different from that earlier attempt.

The real difference, IMO, is that many more people have broadband connections
now, than they did in 2003. So real-time streaming of a movie is practical,
whereas previously, the complete download required a lot longer than the actual
viewing.

By the way, there is a new TiVo Premier box available. IIR the ad correctly, it
searches web sites for content too, as well as cable channels and OTA channels,
although web searches may be limited to Netflix.

The article mentions:

"And that shift coincides with an ominous development for cable companies,
which long controlled home entertainment: for the first time in their history,
cable television subscriptions fell in the United States in the last two
quarters ..."

Not quite the right time for the FCC to yank away people's FOTA TV access, I
think. Or, broadcasters should do a lot more live streaming too, over the web?