[opendtv] Re: Netflix's Move Onto the Web Stirs Rivalries

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:32:52 -0500

Can you describe exactly what "improvements in streaming technology" you think have been so instrumental in this, since 2003?

There have been a number of advances in this area.

First, most of the current streaming media servers have been developed since 2005, including Flash, QuickTime streaming server, Real, Microsoft et al. They employ a variety of techniques to improve performance and reliability. This site has some good reference material and studies of performance conducted between 2006 and 2010:
http://www.iupui.edu/~nmstream/

Channel Adaptive streaming techniques have contributed to performance improvements in several areas:
1. Client control of server playout rates
2. Rate distortion optimized packet scheduling
3. source encoder channel-adaptive packet dependency control

This 2002 paper from researchers at Stanford University discusses the techniques listed above:

http://www.stanford.edu/~bgirod/pdfs/GirodICIP02invited01.pdf

Also, continuous updates to Internet routers with support for RTSP and other new standards have contributed. And significant growth in distributed server platforms like Akamai have moved much of the media that is being served closer to the edges of the network.

 > The principal cause of the problem is the architecture of first-decade
 technology;

Can you explain exactly what you are calling "architecture of first-deacde technology"?

Not my words. I believe Peter was discussing the generic use of TCPIP one-to-one sessions to deliver content to consumers, and the inherent inefficiencies of this approach to broadcasting (and by implication IP Multicast). This was the same paragraph in which Peter discussed the notion of periodically broadcasting popular content to cache, which I have labeled Data Broadcasting.

 MPEG-2 is now wastes huge amounts of bandwidth for both broadcasters
 and the MVPDs.

Same old non-credible mantra. "Huge amounts" my foot. In spite of the rhetoric, when it comes to quoting actual bit rate requirements used in transmitting TV quality SD and HD, it isn't H.264 that "saved the day" at all. The bit rates are very close between the two, EVEN IF the quality achieved at a given bit rate might show gains with H.264.

Sorry, but h.264 streaming rates are typically 30 to 50 percent less than the equivalent quality with MPEG-2. It is true things begin to even out at higher bit rates, such as those used in broadcast channels. But for streaming you will not see much MPEG-2.

On the other hand, when more people used dialup than broadband for Internet access, dialup being no better than 52 Kb/s downstream (even though it was called 56K) and broadband in the neighborhood of 768 Kb/s downstream, it was very obvious that decent quality movies were not going to become available streamed in real time.

I have had broadband since the late '90s. THe quality of streaming sucked until the middle of the past decade, and has improved dramatically in the past 2-3 years. ONly a small portion of this is due to improvements in delivered bit rates from my AT&T DSL service.

The one overriding difference is the speed of the last mile connection. With the current 10 to 50 Mb/s downstream broadband connections you can get from either cable or FiOS, streaming of HD quality movies in real timer is VERY feasible, even with MPEG-2 compression, Craig. Without having to rely on vague and unsubstantiated references to "architecture of first-decade technology," Netflix has no problem selling more streamed movies than DVD rentals, right about now.

Few people in the U.S. have broadband in the 10 - 50 Mbps range, and when they do it is typically associated with a service like Fios, which has dedicated "channels" for delivering HD content. Most HD streaming services are optimized for bit rates of 4-5 Mbps.

I would also note that consumers have become accustomed to crap since the transition to DTV. We tolerate compression artifacts and other distortions that can be quite severe, because on average the pictures are better than analog TV. This is true for broadcast TV, the MVPDs, and streaming. At least with streaming there are some services that focus on delivering a consistently good viewing experience, albeit with the need for significant buffering (or pre-downloading).