[opendtv] Re: NBC turning flagship O&O into 24/7 news channel

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:39:48 -0700

You can imagine to be clueless and wrong.  Imagine a channel of local
weathercasts from all over the country.  That would have more merit than
slim tranches of cats in the trees stories from all over the u.s.  imagine
the coverage during sweeps periods!

Ever hear of p.m. magazine/evening magazine from Westinghouse broadcasting?
That only lasted a few years, but they quickly found out that the stories
didn't work until they were re-fashioned for a national audience, and the
cost of the reword made the whole system unprofitable.

'the world is a smaller place' was trite around the same time that 'Visit to
a Small Planet' was first shown on TV.  More than 50 years ago.  I could go
off here on the foolishness of Marshall McLuhan and the 'global village' but
we're beyond that -- the only people covering the quake in China on the
scene with broadcast quality equipment is NPR, which just happened to be
there.

John Willkie