[opendtv] Re: NBC Launching Live Stream | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:12:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Limited interest?
>
> Hmmmmmm...
>
> So, in Bert's world, CBS creates an OTT service designed to attract
> cord cutters who may represent about 1% of U.S homes. Let's be
> generous and say it was designed to appeal to everyone who does not
> subscribe to a MVPD service, which according to Bert's calculations
> is about 15% of U.S. homes.

Craig continues to fall in the same inability-to-see-a-trend-line trap. What is
true today is true for all time, in Craig's mind.

> So Bert, do you expect more people to use the NBC authenticated TVE
> services, or to pay CBS $5.99/mo for All Access?

More illustration of Craig's mindset. Examples are many, but this does remind
me of the early days of widescreen TVs and LCD TVs. Craig was assuring us that
costs of widescreen TVs would be too high for them to ever become prevalent,
and also that TV manufacturers would "never allow" HDTV sets to become a
commodity item. Why would they, Craig wondered. I remember specifically
informing Craig that not only will widescreen HDTVs dominate the TV market, but
that they would also dominate the PC monitor market.

I have no doubt that now, Craig will go on at length to explain why this
happened. And yet, at the time, he was as stubborn as he is now about Internet
TV over neutral pipes. The point is, it was obvious back then that this was
happening, just as this Internet TV transition is obvious now.

> It has nothing to do with neutrality Bert. It is about the
> licensing of content by the congloms. Even you acknowledge that
> the content owners have the power, and the right, to decide how
> they license their content.

Of course they do, Craig. And the congloms and content owners are already
making that content openly available for anyone using one, or sometimes
several, optional standards. The receiver makers have only to comply.

Why don't they? Because they prefer to create their little "ecosystem" walls,
which then obliges them to get in bed with the content owners, to beg for
permission to stream their content.

Hey Craig. As far as I know, Dell did not have to get in bed with Netflix, to
allow Dell PCs to subscribe to Netflix. If there was ANY special arrangement,
it was the generic one applicable to *all* PC makers, that HD content can only
be sent to a monitor through HDMI.