[opendtv] Re: More on Beta vs VHS

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:46:40 -0400

Doug McDonald wrote:

But what is most interesting is the last sentence:

"We?ll hope that this time all the consumer electronics companies will
bury the hatchet-and not in each other-and unite together on a single
new format, and learn from the mistakes of history."

Yes, indeed.

I have not bought an HD disk player, and don't intend to until I know
whether Beta or VHS will win there!

I suppose that if the designs were such that each company could bring most of its patents to bear in the final unified design, the melding together would work. As Jeroen said, the patent portfolio is all there is anymore of any value for the big CE companies (and others).

I have the distinct feeling that if any of these formats survive, it will be Blu-ray. But it could also go the way of L-cassette and the digital compact cassette. Better, but basically no one really cared enough, and they were soon overtaken by events. SACD and DVD-A? Similar sort of thing.