[opendtv] Re: More on Beta vs VHS

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:25:35 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Good article. I'd forgotten some of those Beta annoyances, and some I
never knew about.

I remember some stores tried to scam people into buying separate tape
rewind boxes, which were completely unnecessary for VHS owners.

Bert

http://www.betainfoguide.com/RiseandFall.htm

An interesting piece, especially with the date (1988).

But what is most interesting is the last sentence:

"We’ll hope that this time all the consumer electronics companies will bury the hatchet-and not in each other-and unite together on a single new format, and learn from the mistakes of history."

Yes, indeed.

I have not bought an HD disk player, and don't intend to until I
know whether Beta or VHS will win there!

Doug McDonald