[opendtv] Re: More Black Friday deals

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:55:14 -0500

John -

I'm more thinking of it from the politician's view. They expect some problems from the cut-over and don't want too many people mad at them. If they bribe enough voters in clever ways then maybe they can get away with it, especially if they can claim the bribes are paid for by spectrum sales. But if they feel voters will be very unhappy then the logical thing to do is further delay the transition. This ongoing delay loop is already part of our digital TV plan and I'd like to break out of it sometime in the next few years. But it is not clear we really can.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
Tom,

Where does the money from the Spectrum Sales ultimately come from?

The idea of the vouchers started off as a solution to the objection that poor people would lose their television service with no way to have it replaced. If they can afford a $300 television, or can afford basic cable, they don't need government assistance. I'd love to have a voucher, and if the program extends to me I'll get in line with everyone else. But I don't need a voucher, and the government shouldn't offer me one.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>

If bread and circuses get the politics done and the transition over, why not do it? The voucher money is coming out of spectrum sales anyway.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com