[opendtv] Re: Mag-lev

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:20:27 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> I note that in "An Inconvenient Truth" Al Gore is shown making the
> trip in a chauffered limo rather than on the train.

Speaking of the book ...

I heard a presentation by the IEEE representative at one of these
international organizations trying to measure global warming, who thinks
that Al Gore misses the complete mechanism.

Instead of just looking at the short-term temp rise, his thesis is that
global temp peaks have occurred already 4 times that we know of. He
plotted them, and showed that they were each about the same in terms of
times and average temperatures.

He says that as the temperature rises, the polar ice caps melt and
reduce the salinity of the oceans. This results in a weakening of the
gulf stream, which in turn creates a cooling effect. And ushers in
another ice age in the northern and southern hemispheres.

He claims this happens all by itself, but that possibly the human
element (burning carbon-based fuels) accelerates the process. In his
view, the bigger worry is that we'll precipitate another ice age faster
than otherwise would be the case, and that's when people starve. The
upcoming ice age, he says, is what we should really be concerned with.

He showed graphs of the accelerating temp increase, compared with the
previous peaks. And acknowledged that there wasn't consensus on these
longer term effects.

No, this has nothing to do with the movie.