[opendtv] Re: Mag-lev

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:50:03 -0500

OK we have reached the limited limits of my physics knowledge. My
sense is that you are wrong. That as you drop your 24,000 mile
perpindicular speed will fall to match the speed of the earth around
you but I have no argument.

Your argument has a problem to. As you approach the center of the
Earth with a tangential 24,000 mph you will be spinning around it at a
faster and faster speed till at the center you would be going at an
infinite speed in circles at a point. I can't comprehend that. You are
traversing as you spin around the center points that you will have to
pass in your trip back to the surface on the other side. I am getting
a headache.

And for you physisist, what about the affect of centrifigal force like
on a skater who pulls in their arms and spins faster. Wouldn't the
pull of gravity make the dropping body's tangential speed increase far
past the 24,000 mph as they approach the center?

Bob Miller

On 11/1/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> You already have a trajectory when you step in the hole. Your
> path would be a straight line since by definition, for
> purposes of this argument, you are in free fall and nothing
> will attenuate your path.

I think Tom is right.

Let's say you start at a pole, and you are going straight through the
core to the other pole. Then yes, your path will be a straight shot
through the sphere.

Now let's still aim for the opposite side, through the core, but let's
start at the equator.

Now you are travelling down, perpendicular to the surface, and you're
starting at a speed of 24,000 miles per day, more or less, along the
horizontal axis, west to east. Your body will want to continue traveling
at that linear speed perpendicular to your "fall."

But the earth all around you is going to be slowing way down as you go
deeper and deeper, in this west to east motion, then speed up again on
the other side of the core.

If you assume the earth is hollow, I think the path would look like a
helix.

As to "free fall," I think what a person would witness throughout the
trip through the core would be weightlessness. But not on other trips,
which don't go through the middle.