[opendtv] Re: Line Pairs/millimeter vs. Price vs. Image Format Area

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 20:16:06 -0400

> I can buy today a Nikon 55mm to 200mm zoom, f4 - f5.6,
> that would be optically just fine for a 1080p HDTV camera
> with large sensor, except for the plastic contruction.
> And it sells for $250. Of course, brand like Sigma are
> FAR cheaper than that.

Here's an exact Sigma equivalent, with what looks like a metal lens
mount, for $139. Specifically meant for APS-sized sensors of many
digital SLRs.

http://www.adorama.com/SG55200EOS.html

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3288&navigato
r=6

Too bad they don't explicitly state the lp/mm. But 38 lp/mm would be
adequate for 1080p (it provides 2.5 Mpels), and such a spec is unheard
of bad for still photography in the APS/35mm sizes.