[opendtv] Re: Line Pairs/millimeter vs. Price vs. Image Format Area

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:29:11 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Lower quality? I think you are missing the point here.
>
> The lines per mm is lower, but the ability to manufacture
> the large lens is NOT easier or cheaper.

Nonsense. I can buy today a Nikon 55mm to 200mm zoom, f4 - f5.6, that
would be optically just fine for a 1080p HDTV camera with large sensor,
except for the plastic contruction. And it sells for $250. Of course,
brabdfs like Sigma are FAR cheaper than that.

That same lens, with metal mount and barrel, would cost a few hundred
dollars at most, and would beat the pants off any of the tiny lenses
with their 200 lp/mm specs.

If you go up to medium format lenses, THEN you will see an increase, for
reasons I explained in my previous post. At the APS/35mm sizes, consumer
lenses are CHEAP and EXCELLENT. And the good ones, like the Carl Zeiss,
are metal construction. In medium format size, comparable to 65mm movie
film, they are probably still cheap compared with the tiny HDTV lenses.
Quote me a price and I'll let you know.

> Yup. And one of the major reasons is that the studio
> cameras have larger sensors and to get the extra
> performance require much more expensive lenses.

As I said, if you go to sizes common to consumer cameras, what you say
is plainly false. Pick up a copy of Pop Photo and figure it out, Craig.

Before disagreeing, show me some facts, for a change.