[opendtv] Re: LPTV Advocates Eye Cellular Alternative

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:03:21 -0400

Initially, I tought they wanted to transmit LPTV content over 3G
cellular. But I don't think that's it either.  So I don't know what this
is about.

It is about the fact that the LPTV industry has a bunch of spectrum and is trying to find a viable business model to use it. By deploying ATSC SFNs (as Bert accurately points out these are not cells), they can provide better coverage in most markets than high power broadcasters, ESPECIALLY for the new M/H service.

I believe that Greg is trying to play Pied Piper and lead these folks out of a model that never really worked well - i.e. trying to compete with full power broadcasters for traditional entertainment TV eyeballs - into a new model where they can deliver all kinds of bits - including TV bits - to mobile/hand held devices.

It is a big challenge, especially for a cash starved industry, however, they already have a fair amount of experience operating low cost/low power facilities, and if several licenses were combined in a market, they could deploy a very mobile friendly network at very reasonable cost per transmitter site.