[opendtv] Re: Commercial broadcast TV breaks viewing record

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:51:45 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> I seem to remember that we talked about this sometime in the past.

Yes, many many times, but most of it was proven false and/or never made
much sense.

It certainly seems that what Craig says is correct. That UK broadcasters
actually want Freeview to succeed, whereas here the broadcasters and TV
networks want everyone on a subscription medium (maybe a few exceptions,
like Sinclair?).

Leaving aside all the noise-prone excuses used in the past, why is this
so? Broadcasters want greater profits here than there? Or is it INSTEAD
a problem with the adevrtizers here, vs in Europe?

The recent articles about CBS and News Corp tell me that the problem for
broadcasters comes from advertizing revenues available to them, vs the
need to show constant growth. Do advertizers in Europe behave
differently? If so, why and how?

Note that a good portion of the programs used in Euro FOTA TV are
programs originated in FOTA TV here, so it's not like the content is way
different. Even the shows originated in Europe are not dramatically
different.

We can have the same 30+ program streams here as the FOTA DTT systems in
Europe, and as an added bonus, a good smattering of these can already be
HD. So even in that aspect, no apologies.