[opendtv] Re: I'm starting to feel sorry for, and worry about

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:06:13 -0400

I get the impression you find a need to deny the "walled garden" label on products you like. How odd. Something about "quacks like a duck ..."

No. I just object to using the term inappropriately.

The telcos were, and would like to continue to build walled gardens around their products and services. Before the iPhone they had iron clad control over everything that you could do with a wireless phone and charged monopoly rents for the limited apps and service they offered.

In truth, Apple has helped to open the phone market just as they helped to open up the music business with the iPod and iTunes. While Apple does place some limits on apps for iOS devices, and require approval for all apps, the reality is that the vast majority of apps are approved and developers are thriving.

Speaking of quacks...