[opendtv] Re: If you can't beat 'em...

  • From: Perry Mevissen <perry.mevissen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:02:11 +0200

Hi,
I find it a very smart concept to make commercials this way. This way you
persuade
people to watch a show. So this makes it interesting for the producers
too.
It is a useful alternative to the nudity that shows are filled up with to
attract people.

And a secondary effect is that people start to watch the commercial blocks
to get
the announcements in WHEN this coupon will be broadcast.
A similar thing has emerged lately in Europe - probably coming from Asia.
During commercial blocks a mini dial in show is played where people at
home
have to guess-the-commercial and dial in as fast as possible to win
prizes.
So what do you need to do to have any chance of winning ?
Indeed, watch commercials to know them by heart.

Finally they found a way to make commercials less annoying; entertaining
even.
One of these days you might be annoyed by the many shows/series/movies
in between commercials ;-)

Perry

opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 2006-04-07 14:51:27:

> Ah, but will it work with Comcast's Remote DVR?
>
> John
>
> Via Broadcast Engineering Newsletter:
>
> KFC gets ad exposure in the blink of an eye
>
> Apr 7, 2006 8:00 AM
> Strategic Content Management e-newsletter
>
> KFC, the fried chicken chain, pulled off a recent advertising coup when
it
> embraced DVR technology using a new kind of television spot.
> The fast food company ran an ad that inserted a single frame that
contained
> a code word - Buffalo - which viewers could use to claim a coupon for a
free
> KFC "Buffalo Snacker" chicken sandwich.
>
> The story of the ad, which ran nationally from Feb. 23 to March 3 on
network
> and cable channels, was reported last week by the Wall Street Journal.
Only