[opendtv] Re: If you can't beat 'em...

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:38:39 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > Another thing. It seems so simple to create a very significant demand
 > for OTA equipment. Just offer something that is only available OTA.

If they were willing to challenge both cable and the networks then this
could easily be done by offering some high def movie or other
interesting offering at the same time there was something boring and low
def on the network.  At these times the majority of bandwidth would go
to the sub-channel leaving the "primary" network channel in SDTV and low
bandwidth.  This could establish either the desire of consumers to watch
OTA or a desire by cable companies to carry some of the sub-channels.

Of course, this requires content.

- Tom