[opendtv] Re: IPTV versus internet TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:58:25 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> > for poor jitter characteristics, you end up with huge
> > lags between outgoing and incoming, considerably worse
> > than what you'd experience over geosynchronous satellites,
> > at least for long distance calls.
>
> I lag my Tivo'd "real time" TV viewing by about 20 minutes
> now just to skip commercials.  I'm not sure there is really
> a difference anymore except for very timely news & sports
> events.

Sure. Because you're watching non-interactively. However,
when a service provider offers VoIP telephone service, they
have to make it a reasonable experience. The telcos use a
rule of 150 msec latency total, for interactive voice. I
would expect that a cable system's VoIP telephone service
would try to achieve something comparable.

I'm not sure how this translates to interactive video. From
what others have said on here, if the interactivity includes
voice and video, the human brain will accept a slight lag
of audio behind video. Which leads me to think that any
picture phone sort of service, or other interactive video
and audio, would not be less stringent than voice?