[opendtv] Re: IPTV versus internet TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:18:13 -0500

>John McClenny wrote:
>
>>  http://breeze.brightcove.com/p47258018/
>
>I can't imagine any presentation that could reflect what
>we have discussed on here more precisely. IPTV is a
>cable service replacement, walled garden, functionally
>identical to cable, whereas video over the Internet is
>an extension of the WWW. With numerous problems to be
>solved if this has to provide real-time high quality TV
>images.
>
>By the way, in advance, let me predict that Craig will
>claim this is what he was saying all along? ;)

Yup

;-)

This particular vendor is trying to differentiate between walled
garden IPTV and systems without the walls. I seriously doubt that
they are having much impact on the confusion that exists surrounding
the term IPTV.

The reality is that the telcos cannot enter the walled garden market
and succeed. They must have a way to differentiate their service, and
that differentiation will be the removal of at least some of the
walls that exist today.