[opendtv] Re: IPTV versus internet TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:25:56 -0500

At 11:48 PM -0500 3/10/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>A very interesting presentation.
>
>But I am not sure why he expects that the carefully controlled walled
>gardens of the distribution channels to lose their control and yet
>expects the content owners to somehow keep theirs.

I do not think that this is what the presented means.

There is no question that access to the walled gardens (including OTA
broadcasts) is highly controlled. This is no different than the
control that the music industry HAD over music distribution or
Hollywood has over movies.

What I believe he did intent us to understand is that with the
Internet model ANY content creator can establish direct distribution,
thus bypassing the walled gardens. This has certainly been the case
with music...