[opendtv] Re: IP Multicast for large scale applications

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:54:32 -0500

John McClenny wrote:

> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hayashi-rac-issues-00.txt
>
> This is kind of interesting, but all of these problems have been
> solved outside of the scope of IETF.  These aren't unknown
> problems, just another spin of the innovation wheel.  MSOs/Telcos
> know how to authenticate, bill, and manage a network.  Adding SSM
> multicast to distribute video isn't a big leap.

Yes indeed, except I would say that some of the problems have been
worked around, rather than "solved." One obvious work-around being
to control traffic inside the network to be able to "guarantee"
the expected quality levels.

The IETF, of course, always wants to publish RFCs which describe
each "solution," to make the solutions interoperable.

Interestingly, there was a fair amount of discussion on that draft
in the past couple of days. It appears some of the members of the
wg had not considered use of large scale IP multicast for HDTV
streams, with the sort of performance the subscribers have come to
expect.

Oh, and one of the authors did bring up the point about PONs used
in FTTH systems. With the consequent requirement that IGMP joins
have to be limited at each FTTH drop, as a function of total
bandwidth being "joined" by all households on a given passive drop.