[opendtv] Re: News: Stevens Vows Cable-Indecency Crackdown

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:54:12 -0800

I don't know specifically about Vonage or IP telephony in this context.

I do know (a good friend of mine is in the DBS installation industry and has
been in the satellite earth station business for a few decades) that DirecTV
uses a database (I suspect it's the NECA database) to determine what is a
landline connection and they will reject wireless connections.  Their
agreement specifically requires a landline connection.

I've heard of people who have accomplished the task by cross-connecting to a
landline, but then the landline termination has to match up with your zip
code.  Oh yeah, they check this EACH time you connect via the back channel.
If your particulars change (sometimes that happens legitimately), then you
have to reestablish your account through other means.  Sometimes a site
visit happens before you can reestablish.

Much easier to order pay per view via the web site.