[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:06:57 -0800

Bert;

You seem to be getting better on this list, but you still venture where you
don't have a clue.

As any BROADCAST ENGINEER (of which I am one) knows, separation of full
service TV stations is ONLY due to a distance calculation.  Indeed, the
situation you mention -- channel 11 between New York and Baltimore required
a waiver from the FCC in the 1970's when KPIX wanted to move to the World
Trade Center.  It took the better part of a decade to approve that close
spacing.  The diversion from the ruless was LESS than a mile -- 2800 feet,
IIRC.

They're just a little bit more flexible with FM stations (with two possible
seat of the pants models using distance versus the classes of the various
stations) in the deminimus delta zones.

Wilderness is NEVER an issue.  The ONLY deviation (except for de-mimimus
waivers, like KPIX which are rarely granted) is for low power/translator
stations.  There, the FCC has permitted on a case-by-case basis, they do
permit knife-edge diffraction studies to prove that there is no actual
interference, only theoretical interference.  Even then, the affected
parties can and routinely do, protest, which slows up the licensing process.

And, need it be pointed out, IN ANY CASE, if there is ACTUAL interference,
the new entrant is responsible for fixing it.  Which, in the worse case,
means going dark.  Even if the interference is in a single household.  If
they reject the offered antenna to fix it, you make changes at the new tx
point.

TV stations SERVE their cities of license.  They do NOT HAVE to serve
adjacent areas.  If they can put a city grade signal over at least 98% of
their city of license (to the political boundaries) they get a construction
permit.  Otherwise, they need a waiver.

Anything else is desirous on the part of the broadcaster, but is not
required by the FCC.

Wilderness indeed ...

(I usually label my WAGs.)