[opendtv] Re: IEEE Ericsson article on use of LTE for TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:26:53 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Again I ask: Who has the power and the control?

Until we see evidence of phones that can use multiple different cell networks,
clearly the cellcos have the power and control.

> As I said in a previous post, the consumer is now going to look at
> the wireless telcos in a manner similar to other ISP services: you
> will pay for the amount of data you use. The devices that you connect
> to the network will "control" what you can do...

That has always been the case. At best, the smarter devices allow you to do
more. But there was differentiation in what the devices allowed the customer to
do even before iPhones came on the Verizon scene.

But you continue to miss the point.

It's rather obvious that the wireless telcos would sooner or later get to flat
fees, even though they aren't there yet (Verizon still charges for this "data"
component). But what you continue to miss is, whatever control you giddily
cheer has gotten away from the cellco is simply going to Apple. It's beyond me
why you think that's an improvement. Makes you sound like one of these cult
members.

> This is exactly what competition is all about.
>
> You have a choice, and you choose to use computers and devices that
> COMPETE with Apple.

Obviously, which is why I'm perfectly happy without any Apple products at all.
Not a one.

But once again, you miss the point.

Back in the bad old days, up to the 1970s or so, a huge number of people
smoked. It was disgusting, it was nauseating, it was filthy, and oh, perhaps
also unhealthy. But who even cares about unhealthy? It was a colossal nuisance.
Do I give a damn that "everyone" did it? Did it remotely make me want to join
their ranks? Did I genuflect in front of Philip Morris? No, of course not. And
finally many people wised up.

Apple is doing the same thing. People who crave the fashion statement allow
themselves to be suckered in like unthinking lemmings, and the best you can do
is cheer in the sidelines. Apple is doing exactly the same thing that MVPDs and
congloms do that you keep harping about. And yet, you unabashedly cheer them on!

I don't cheer anyone who tries to wrestle undeserving "control" over my toys. I
have a real problem behaving like some star-struck groupie at a concert. If
nothing else, it would be embarrassing.