[opendtv] Re: IEEE Ericsson article on use of LTE for TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:32:21 -0400

 Again I ask: Who has the power and the control?

Until we see evidence of phones that can use multiple different cell networks, clearly the cellcos have the power and control.

Can you use multiple ISPs without signing up for their service?

I will agree that it would be immensely beneficial to the public if they could use ANY network and pay as you go.

Perhaps someday this may be possible...

 As I said in a previous post, the consumer is now going to look at
 the wireless telcos in a manner similar to other ISP services: you
 will pay for the amount of data you use. The devices that you connect
 to the network will "control" what you can do...

That has always been the case. At best, the smarter devices allow you to do more. But there was differentiation in what the devices allowed the customer to do even before iPhones came on the Verizon scene.

Before the smart phone, you had to buy services from the telco. Voice and text messaging were the most popular. Subscription video and music services not so much. The important thing was that you could ONLY do what the telco allowed you to do, on devices that were only available from that telco.

But you continue to miss the point.

It's rather obvious that the wireless telcos would sooner or later get to flat fees, even though they aren't there yet (Verizon still charges for this "data" component). But what you continue to miss is, whatever control you giddily cheer has gotten away from the cellco is simply going to Apple. It's beyond me why you think that's an improvement. Makes you sound like one of these cult members.

Really. Go to Android - most of the best apps are also available there.

And tell the developers who are creating all of these apps to return the Billion$ that Apple has collected and sent to them.

Obviously, which is why I'm perfectly happy without any Apple products at all. Not a one.

But once again, you miss the point.

Apple is doing the same thing. People who crave the fashion statement allow themselves to be suckered in like unthinking lemmings, and the best you can do is cheer in the sidelines. Apple is doing exactly the same thing that MVPDs and congloms do that you keep harping about. And yet, you unabashedly cheer them on!

Sorry Bert but you analogy sucks. People are buying Apple products and using the ecosystem they have created because this stuff works, in most cases better than the stuff from competitors. Apple is providing value to its customers.

Some people would say that you are a lemming. I would not go that far, but you are willing to embrace technologies that have locked the masses into other "walled gardens," while blindly telling us that these are "open."

I don't cheer anyone who tries to wrestle undeserving "control" over my toys.

Thankfully, Microsoft has never exerted any control over their platform, and has never been the subject of an anti trust investigation...

;-)