[opendtv] Re: IEEE Ericsson article on use of LTE for TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 16:03:16 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Good, since I already said broadcasters do not need to build a return
> path since the Telco data networks will provide this.

But once again, those are just the confused words that came out during the
initial days of DTV design.

What the telcos provide, in this scenario, is a two-way path. The two-way path
is as isolated from the one-way broadcast as a telephone call is from the radio
transmission, during a radio call-in show. The two-way path from the telcos
will provide all of the VOD.

Since people have come to want a LOT of choice, at best the TV broadcast will
provide some of the live streams, as it does now, for which you certainly don't
need LTE.