[opendtv] Re: Flash Gone from Android

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:14:07 -0800

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> With respect hardware codec acceleration, this IS a big deal for
>> mobile devices and power consumption.
>
> Gimme a break, Craig. Flash has supported H.264 ever since Flash Player 9.
> We're at version 11 now. But it is true that the older Flash codec supported
> features that H.264 doesn't. So it's a simple matter of either allowing
> real-world, existing and abundant content to work, and to work efficiently
> (via appropriate accelerators), or getting a bug up your *ss and blocking it,
> for their own corporate motives. (Did I mention that my old PC showed signs
> of stress when first encountering H.264? And may I say "I told you so?" Just
> because software can be updated, it does not mean that the hardware is up to
> it!)

Right, Flash has had hardware accelerated decode across most platforms
and has itself been a 'unified' binary since v10 started shipping,
IIRC.

I should note that native HTML5 video is severely broken. Android
doesn't even correctly support HLS. We're using a proprietary H264
decoder at the moment when targeting Android. I can't even start to
name all the problems we have had with H264+HLS. Even Apple has their
set of quirks.

Also, somewhat off in left field, I've had the chance to look at quite
a few delivery systems at my 'new' job, and people would be surprised
(or maybe not) as to how many secure HLS+AES systems are botched to
the point where they may well have not put any security on the system
to start off with.

> I also noticed mention of interactive ads. Been there, done that. When
> watching TV, the last thing I want to do is interact with ads. My bet is,
> that feature will prove unpopular. You do it a few times, then you want to
> tell them to go pound sand.

Total waste, that one.

Cheers
Kon