[opendtv] Re: Flash Gone from Android

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:35:27 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hardware acceleration for h.264 is now commonplace in fixed and mobile
> devices. Hardware acceleration for the legacy Flash codecs is not. But Flash
> is widely supported, even on iOS devices, when it is a wrapper for H.264
> content.

If only it were that simple. The transport, now there's where the fun
starts. Sorry but HW accel for Flash H264 decode and HDS transport is
more widely compatible than native HLS.

> No, Apple did not shut them out. They made a calculated decision NOT to
> support Flash player on iOS, choosing instead to put their resources into
> HTML5.

Almost right. Wait a few months and see what happens :)

> I might add, that this is not just about playing video. I was very pleased
> NOT to have to waste bandwidth/bits, downloading all of the annoying Flash
> ads and graphics on my phone. Ironically, you seem to like standards and

Right, instead you'll be downloading annoying HTML5/JS ads on your
phone. If you think it's the technology, you're mistaken. It's the
advertisers. Flash was always dirt simple to get an ad banner up and
running on, with only a designer and no developers required. HTML5 ad
toolkits are changing that.

> what they can enable, yet you champion the proprietary Flash ecosystem over
> a standards based solution.

Load of claptrap.

> versions of popular content - the browser simply chooses between Flash or
> h.264 files when it links to a site. You Tube did this almost immediately
> after the introduction of the iPhone - last I checked, Google owns You Tube.

The browser simply chooses? Not any browser I've ever seen on any
mobile device. The developer chooses, with a lot of JS code, to detect
the handset and attempt to display the video using a suitable
container and decoder. If you think it's simple, it's far from it.

HTML5 for video is severely broken now - a joke would be the best term
to sum it up. Oh an there's that little issue with it having no
security for premium content...

Cheers
Kon