[opendtv] FCC rules for cable after the OTA TV digital transition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:55:52 -0400

My clock radio was announcing this when it woke me up this morning. The
best part of it is, the digital TV transition has finally made it to the
newscasts.

Notice: only the "primary video" and program-related material is
included. No multicast must-carry. I'm not sure what this requires cable
companies to do about EPG. Logically, I'd expect that they can include
whatever info there is in PSIP in their own EPG. But they may also have
to transmit PSIP to meet the letter of the law?

In essence, this is the definition of cable's transition scheme. For
OTA, the transition was between 1998 and 2009. For cable, it extends to
2012, with the possibility of a further extension.

HD must be carried as HD, without "material degradation," but I think
this sentence is important:

"Cable operators must carry broadcast signals so that the picture
quality is at least as good as the quality of any other programming
carried on the system."

Which means, it's okay if the cable signal is not as good as the OTA
signal, as long as the OTA channels are not singled out to be crappy
quality. Cable is NOT being required to carry all the bits that OTA
broadcasters transmit, not even for the primary video program.

Commissioner Adelstein dissented in part.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-276576A4.pdf

"I must dissent in part because the Order does not provide small, often
rural, cable operators a much-needed exemption from the carriage
obligations in this Order. Unlike the major MSOs and LECs, small system
operators face serious financial and technological resource constraints,
and the Commission should consider these limitations moving forward. We
cannot achieve our goal of promoting rural broadband if the Commission
forces small rural cable operators to use their limited capacity for
uses other than what the market and their customers demand, including
broadband. While I am pleased that the Order provides for waivers, it is
not fair to ask these tiny rural systems to engage lawyers in Washington
when a simple exemption would have sufficed."

He also thinks the FCC should have better specified what public service
the DTV transition was supposed to provide. And that there hasn't been
enough effort on DTV consumer education for OTA users.

So, obtusely, this will dissuade OTA broadcasters from developing
interesting multicasts. Or alternatively, OTA broadcasters can create
good multiplexes and cable might willingly carry them, as PBS seems to
have done. And if cable doesn't carry them, perhaps they would create
strong demand for an OTA receiver to be included with cable STBs. (Or
people making use of the integrated OTA receiver in their new sets.)

Bert

-------------------------------------
NEWS Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, D. C. 20554

This is an unofficial announcement of Commission action. Release of the
full text of a Commission order constitutes official action.

See MCI v. FCC. 515 F 2d 385 (D.C. Circ 1974).
News Media Information 202 / 418-0500
Internet: http://www.fcc.gov
TTY: 1-888-835-5322

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 11, 2007 Mary Diamond 202-418-2388
Email: mary.diamond@xxxxxxx

FCC Adopts Rules to Ensure all Cable Customers Receive Local TV Stations
After the Digital Television Transition

Washington, D.C. - The Federal Communications Commission ("FCC") today
adopted rules to ensure all cable subscribers, including those with
analog TV sets, can view broadcast television after the transition to
digital television occurs on February 17, 2009. Approximately 35 percent
of all television homes, or approximately 40 million households, are
analog-only cable subscribers. The Commission is committed to ensuring
that the 98 million TV viewers watching roughly 120 million sets retain
the same access to their local stations after the transition as they do
today.

By statute, cable operators must make local broadcasters' primary video
and program-related material viewable by all of their subscribers. The
FCC's ruling today allows cable operators to comply with the viewability
requirement by choosing to either: (1) carry the digital signal in
analog format, or (2) carry the signal only in digital format, provided
that all subscribers have the necessary equipment to view the broadcast
content. The viewability requirements extend to February 2012 with the
Commission committing to review them during the last year of this period
in light of the state of technology and the marketplace.

In addition, a cable system with activated channel capacity of 552
megahertz or less may request a waiver of the viewability requirements.
The Commission is also seeking comment in a Further Notice on ways to
minimize any economic impact on small cable operators while still
complying with the statutory requirements for carriage of local TV
stations.

While the item provides cable operators with flexibility, the FCC
reaffirmed the requirement that cable systems must carry high definition
("HD") broadcast signals in HD format and reaffirmed its current
material degradation standard. Cable operators must carry broadcast
signals so that the picture quality is at least as good as the quality
of any other programming carried on the system.

Action by the Commission September 11, 2007 by Memorandum, Opinion and
Order (FCC 07-170). Chairman Martin, Commissioners Copps, Tate and
McDowell with Commissioner Adelstein approving in part and dissenting in
part. Separate statements issued by Chairman Martin Commissioners Copps,
Adelsetin, Tate and McDowell Media Bureau Staff Contact: Eloise Gore,
eloise.gore@xxxxxxx or Lyle Elder, lyle.elder@xxxxxxx, 202-418-7200.