[opendtv] Re: Ed Williams 1999 Sinclair Baltimore Report

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:02:33 -0700

Note that the way some may read Ed's post may be misinterpreted.

My interpretation is that the gross data rate was 24.88Mb/s for COFDM in a
slightly greater bandwidth than 8VSB, such that it would not fit in a six
MegaHertz channel. The net data rate was 18.66Mb/s. (The 1/8 guard interval
I expect eats up available bandwidth).

8VSB gross data rate is approx 31 Mb/s in a narrower channel and the net
data rate is 19.39 Mb/s. This means more FEC has been applied to 8VSB
transmission.

As the pre-adaptive equalization processes improve, does this not prove
that 8VSB will have in future greater data rate vs bandwidth efficiency for
the same robustness of reception?

Terry Harvey

Ed Willam's post (snip)