[opendtv] Re: Ed Williams 1999 Sinclair Baltimore Report

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:28:44 -0500

>Bob, the broadcasters had an opportunity to go down a
>different decision tree branch in 2001/2002, and they
>refused to do so.
>
>We passed that branch of the decision tree. Unless
>another such opportunity comes their way, the fork on
>the road that you're looking for is way behind us.

We have not yet reached the decision tree.

We are still in the mode of protecting the NTSC franchise. It is
irrelevant whether the current DTV system works. Much easier to stay
the course, despite the fact that it leads to the digital cliff.

IF the NTSC franchise EVER goes away we will reach the decision point.

Until then the issue is moot.

After NTSC goes away there will be a huge outcry about the problems
with ATSC. But this will only be part of the outcry. With their backs
against the wall, it is likely that local broadcasters will finally
wake up and demand that Congress let them compete...and survive.