[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design (was Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia)

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:17:16 -0700

Bert wrote:
> This is why it's imperative to know what the problem is, rather
> than jumping to facile conclusions.

My facile conclusion is that had 8VSB worked from the get-go, nearly as well
as did COFDM, this discussion wouldn't be happening. However, it didn't but
had we chosen COFDM in the beginning, we would be a long way down the road
to a successful transition, ala the UK.
The lack of interest shown for OTA by the CE community and certain networks,
did not coalesce until they realized what a turkey this system was and this
had little to do with our current receiver front end issues, which are
unrelated to modulation.
However, that was then and this is now, lets move forward as best we can and
make what we have as good as it can be ..... which will require help from CE
but which is unlikely to happen. If these receivers are not improved what
are the odds that 8VSB will ultimately be successful?