[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design (was Re: Demand for free DTV rising in Australia)

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:07:48 -0700

S.J. Birkill wrote:
> "demod. chip vendors are jumping through generations of hoops trying to
score an extra dB of decoding margin, while the tuners are throwing away
those same dBs in tens."

Question: How much is that major investment in decoding margin worth if the
receiver provides it a marginal input?

Answer: The large decoder investment provided required political cover by
proving that 8VSB "could" be made to work in high multipath environments
but, would it work in implementation? This clearly is not a concern of the
CE community. We witnessed this in the Zenith "cold fusion" demonstration
which was never duplicated by commercially available product.