[opendtv] Re: Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:21:35 -0500

I said 'more useful,' not 'the only useful' and it is because of antenna size. A 1/4 wave antenna at 450 MHz is around 16.65 cm long, and a 1/4 wave antenna at 700 MHz is around 10.7 cm long.

To optimize a low power device, you need to optimize the antenna. So you target a narrower slice of the UHF Television band. If you want to hide the antenna inside of a device, why not choose the smallest antenna?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm not sure why John thinks only the upper channels are useful - I would think that ANY UHF channel would be useful.