[opendtv] Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:48:20 -0600

" ... that allows radio products to transmit without interference over the
'white space' frequencies recently vacated by the U.S. DTV transition."

As far as I can tell in this piece, there is a confusion between the UK meaning
of "white spaces" and the US meaning.

Over here, white spaces are NOT those vacated with the digital TV transition.
Over here, white spaces refer to TV frequencies in the new, crunched-down TV
band, not the 700 MHz band. White spaces are TV channels unused in a given
market. So, the problem of detecting non-interfering white spaces is not the
same as it is in the examples they give, i.e. in  the 2.4 GHz band, where the
signal you want to avoid is going to be relatively strong compared with signals
in other nearby channels.

Bert

----------------------------------
http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/90336

Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem
11.13.2009.

Cambridge Consultants, a U.K.-based international technology development and
consultancy company, announced this week that it has developed a new low-cost
cognitive radio technology that allows radio products to transmit without
interference over the "white space" frequencies recently vacated by the U.S.
DTV transition.

Although the company has not released details about its "InCognito" technology,
it says that it believes that "we will start to see the first cognitive radio
enable products in mid-2010 and that the market will develop quickly."

Cambridge Consultants, a subsidiary of Altran, Europe's largest technology
consultancy, has considerable experience in developing wireless technologies
and has helped launch a number of new standards for products including
Bluetooth, DECT and Zigbee. The company said it is offering its platform to the
CogNeA Alliance, a group of consumer electronics companies dedicated to
developing technologies for the white space band and including Philips, Samsung
Electro-Mechanics, ETRI and Georgia Tech.

A year ago, the FCC voted to allow the use of unlicensed wireless devices to
operate in "white spaces," empty portions of the TV spectrum band. Broadcasters
have vehemently opposed the use of such devices, claiming that they will
interfere with TV reception.

"We've seen so much game-changing innovation in the unlicensed 2.4GHz band, but
I believe the FCC's decision to open up the 'whitespace' radio frequencies for
innovation promises even more. We will quickly see a wave of innovation in
wireless products and services around 700MHz, bringing benefits both to
consumers and to the innovative businesses that move quickly into the
whitespace market," said Luke D'Arcy, of Cambridge Consultants.

D'Arcy also said the company's technology will address broadcasters' concerns
over interference. "Based on highly complex cognitive 'spectral sensing' radio
technology which, until now, has only been used in defense and security
applications, the InCognito platform enables 'whitespace' radios to quickly and
accurately detect and avoid other broadcasts," he said.