[opendtv] Re: Company Claims to Have Solved White Space Interference Problem

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:50:05 -0500

At 12:53 PM -0500 11/16/09, John Shutt wrote:
I agree that the author was not writing engineering specs, nor was the intended audience product designers. Clearly the higher frequencies near the 700 MHz benchmark are more desirable than the lower frequencies, thus the perhaps less than optimally phrased term "around 700 MHz."

I agree that the article was poorly written, however, I think the point that the author was trying to make is that there are multiple opportunities for cognitive radios in the U.S. market.

Clearly (to me) the author was talking about the TV white spaces, which include all of the existing UHF channels still being used by broadcasters. I'm not sure why John thinks only the upper channels are useful - I would think that ANY UHF channel would be useful.

As for activity around the 700 MHz band, this may refer to the frequencies that the FCC designated for the public safety band.

http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/public-safety-spectrum/700-MHz/safetyband.html

700 MHz Public Safety Band

In July 2007, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) revised the 700 MHz band plan and service rules to promote the creation of a nationwide interoperable broadband network for public safety and to facilitate the availability of new and innovative wireless broadband services for consumers. The Commission designated the lower half of the 700 MHz Public Safety Band (763-768/793-798 MHz) for broadband communications. The Commission also consolidated existing narrowband allocations to the upper half of the 700 MHz Public Safety block (769-775/799-805 MHz). Further, in order to minimize interference between broadband and narrowband operations, the Commission adopted a one megahertz guard band (768-769/798-799 MHz) between the public safety broadband and narrowband segments. Finally, the Commission established a single nationwide license - the Public Safety Broadband License - for the 700 MHz public safety broadband spectrum.

Public Safety/Private Partnership for Broadband
A key element of the 700 MHz public safety spectrum is the establishment of a framework for a 700 MHz Public Safety/Private Partnership between the licensee for one of the commercial spectrum blocks and the licensee for the public safety broadband spectrum.

Under the Partnership, the PSBL will have priority access to the commercial spectrum in times of emergency, and the commercial licensee will have preemptible, secondary access to the public safety broadband spectrum. Providing for shared infrastructure will help achieve significant cost efficiencies while maximizing public safety's access to interoperable broadband spectrum.

At any rate, the technology is most likely frequency agnostic.