[opendtv] Re: Comcast and TiVo Announce Strategic Partnership

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:54:25 -0500

Though I was annoyed that Comcast forced me to upgrade to there Digital
1 tier in order to keep it I rather like my Comcast Motorola dual tuner
6412 PVR and think it functions fairly well, better than my previous
6208 PVR.  The interface is still not as nice as my previous analog
tuner, but not bad.

But, like ATSC, 256 QAM digital appears very susceptible to lower signal
level.  I first noticed that trying to get my 256 QAM Fusion PCHD card
working.   Two times now I've started to experience breakups on my PCHD
card and also on my different Comcast PVR's.  Both times I called
Comcast and they sent someone out to fix it.

And both times the low signal strength was related to bad filters on the
line.  The first time the tech said there was a 6 dB drop across the
filters and he replaced at least one of them.  The second time (months
later) the guy said they were wet.  He seemed to think I could explain
that for some reason. ???  But he replaced a couple and the signal
became good again.  I've been tempted to remove the darn things but have
not tampered with them so far.

It is interesting to note that I probably have 3 signal gobbling filters
in series with my cable because I do not subscribe to all the analog (or
digital?) premium services.  But this likely means I'd have a better
signal if I were to pay for more bundles.  What a happy coincidence for
the cable company.  ;-)

Anyway, at least in my area Comcast will respond to calls about bad
signal, and fix them.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could do that for ATSC?

- Tom