[opendtv] Re: Colombia and Argentina

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:56:46 -0400

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Miller wrote:
>  > Maybe I will pack all the pleading for help emails I received over a
>>
>> number of years from Korean broadcasters trying to wiggle out of ATSC
>> and put them in an archive someday.
>>
>> There is no country that now is using ATSC that choose it legitimately
>> or after due consideration or proper testing.
>
> Oh, how embarrassing for the inventors.

Lets look at it another way. All the countries that did any testing
that was legitimate chose other modulations than 8-VSB. Some of them
after adopting or all but adopting ATSC.

Only one test was done that I know of where the country choose ATSC.
The broadcasters of S. Korea, on their own without their governments
help, tested ATSC against DVB-T and choose DVB-T. They then went on a
broadcast strike against their governments decision to cram ATSC down
their throats, against their will, for a number of years.

How about embarrassing for the FCC?

I still remember at a meeting with at least ten top people at the FCC
including the person President Bush personally picked to cram ATSC
down our necks, Rick Chessen, hearing the remark, "we have a policy"
in answer to this question from me.

We, meaning the Viacel crowd of four in attendance, had surmised that
maybe the FCC was foisting ATSC on the channels below 52 because it
did not work mobile and the FCC wanted to make the auction of licenses
above 51 more desireable for bidders, they would bid a lot more if
they had no competition from channels below 52.

My answer was "we have a policy".  Most of the people I met at the FCC
seemed at least mildly embarrassed by ATSC IMHO.

Chairman Martin being the exception. He was steely in the meeting we
had with him. Didn't want to hear or see anything that would conflict
with his political mandate. His aide, a lawyer named Johnathon Cody,
was very receptive and knowledgeable even eager to agree with
everything we said or showed them.

Bob Miller