[opendtv] Re: Bert should be happy!

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:12:59 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So the new iPhone 5 was announced yesterday, and one feature
> should make Bert happy, even if the numbers seems a bit strange.
>
> The new 4" retina display has a 16:9 aspect ratio with 1136 x 640
> resolution at 336 pixels per inch.
>
> Apple kept the width of the phone the same and increased the
> height moving from the former (960 x 640) 1.5:1 aspect ratio to
> the new 16:9 aspect ratio.

Yes, I thought I had already mentioned that. About time, eh? I knew about the
aspect ratio, but not about the exact pixel count. And isn't the trade press
all in a frenzy about this.

I would think the wider (taller in this case) screen would be especially useful
in tablets, not so much phones. Because so many people watch TV or movies using
tablets.

Now here's the important point. Apple claims they did this to allow for a new
row of icons or whatever. But the real truth is, they had been outclassed by
the Samsung Galaxy phones. Ain't that a kick in the pants. The Galaxy phones
have a huge screen.

I wonder if Samsung will sue for, what do they call it, "trade dress"
infringement, or whatever that nonsense is?