[opendtv] Re: An Unsteady Future for Broadcast

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:42:10 -0800

Tom wrote:
Also, if NBC was owned by Comcast I'm not sure it would distinctly be a
national OTA network anymore, say not much different than the USA
channel.  It seems it would just depend upon content deals about who
could show it, including other cable companies and possibly local
broadcasters.  Almost certainly there would be some changes the next
time NBC affiliate contracts were renegotiated. I think the whole
concept of being a network affiliate may get very muddied.

Having been the Director of Engineering of a large station group owning affiliates of all five networks and, having also been that companies representative at ATSC, I was an acute observer and critique of network business practices over that past ten years. It became clear to me early on that the Big 3 were/are preparing for and even acting to hasten the demise of OTA broadcasting. Some forum members will recall my postings reporting these activities and suggesting such a possible outcome. One particular member, who lectured me regarding my ignorance of the situation, should be eating daily large portions of Crow. It's ironic that he later became an advocate of such an outcome.

Dale