[opendtv] Re: An Unsteady Future for Broadcast

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:44:48 -0800

It has been my observation that while there is still a percentage using
FOTA without an MVPD, they're media consumption is not solely FOTA.  For
some reason, I have a large friendship base that does not subscribe to an
MVPD and uses FOTA.  However, every one of them also uses another outlet to
get the media they want.  I subscribe to Netflix, as do several of my
friends, and other use Blockbuster.com, Red Box and other outlets.  I can't
tell you the exact percentages but I would bet that all of them use the
alternative outlet for more of their consumption than the FOTA.  So just
because 11% of the population is only FOTA vs. MVPD, that does not mean
that it is their only media source.  Most of the good programming is
distributed on DVD and those are readily available through other sources,
including the ones list above, and for a lot less money.

My personal conclusion is that I must agree with Craig that FOTA does not
offer the programming that people want.  Bert says that nothing is stopping
the FOTA stations from offering the same content that is on cable but if
that is true, why don't they offer it FOTA?  Something must be stopping
them.  "Monk" did cross over.  Why aren't more?  I see that some of the
cable shows are now in syndication and showing up on FOTA: Orange County
Choppers, Worlds Deadliest Catch, etc.  Too late, they have already been
overwatched.

There is still some valuable content on FOTA and the networks, and I do
watch some of it.  But it would be hard to convince me that they can or
will produce what the populous really wants.

Dan