[opendtv] Re: Amiga

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:40:47 -0400

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:45 PM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Amiga was an amazing machine in 1984.  It could hold an entire color
> graphical user interface operating system on a single DSDD (Not HD!) 880K
> 3.5" disk.
>
> At the time, it was to video (Public Access, low end independent producers,
> and LPTV anyway) what the Mac was to printing.  It forced the Mac to adopt
> color.  When coupled with the Newtek Video Toaster software, it was an
> amazing production switcher (who will ever forget the Kiki wipe?) and 3D
> graphics generator.  Coupled with a SuperGen genlock unit, DeluxPaint II,
> and Pro Video Gold, the Amiga 500 could do a very decent job at CG for High
> School sports and general television production.
>
> In 2008, with the state of both the Mac and PC clones, I see no reason to
> ressurect the Amiga.  It was very popular in Europe for general computing
> (this isn't the first time the Amiga has been resurrected by a third party)
> but it's way past it's prime.
>
> Why are you so excited, Bob?
>
> John

I don't know yet. Will order the board and software and find out.
Truth is I still don't like Windows, don't like my wife's Mac and
never got that excited about the unix family. Amiga was the only
computer I have ever had that made sense.

I have one computer with Vista, this one, and one with XP. XP is OK
but Vista is horrible and I don't even use this machine much. I will
dump Vista when I get around to it.

Bob Miller