[opendtv] 7 ways Comcast is killing the cable killers

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 10:04:30 -0400

7 ways Comcast is killing the cable killers

By Stacey Higginbotham
GigaOM
May 8, 2012

We're at a flashpoint in the evolution of television, and the battle
lines are getting clearer. We have the pay TV providers who want to
keep their high-dollar cable packages going even as broadband has the
potential to break their bundle of channels. We also have content
companies, some of whom are owned by the cable providers and others
who are independent. All are trying to make the most money from their
content even as digitization opens up new markets and risks
associated with piracy.

Finally we have new content companies and delivery options that
include big names like Apple, Netflix and YouTube to smaller names
like Funny or Die and Aereo. And in the middle is the consumer. All
consumers want is their television - whatever they want to watch when
the want it. Also, they'd like it on multiple devices and most are
happy to pay for this content either directly, through a subscription
or by watching ads.

But this market has incredible distortions thanks to a variety of
ownership structures, business models and how much control they have
over the deliver of content into the home. And no one has more power
and is taking as active a stance in this business as Comcast. From
its early days of blocking P2P traffic to the most recent allegations
of traffic prioritization let's look at Comcast's historical, current
and future efforts to protect its business.

http://gigaom.com/broadband/7-ways-comcast-is-killing-the-cable-killers/