[opendtv] Re: 20060320

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:43:37 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>  - DTT penetration in Australia is said to be "only" 15%
> (we're roughly half that here in the U.S. and started
> earlier).  A lack of multicasting is said to be a main
> reason:
<http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1591580.htm>

The various "vox populi" replies give reasons that apply here
as well. Paraphrased slightly:

"It's too expensive."

"It's too complicated."

"I can easily record analog with a VHS recorder, try that
with a separate STB."

"People don't change just for the sake of change."

And that's with a huge assortment of STBs available. Imagine
the handicap if there are only two or three STB brands
available, and they are all older technology that doesn't
work all that well and costs the consumer more than twice
what he should have to pay.