[openbeosnetteam] Re: skeleton sockets fd support driver

  • From: philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:04:14 +0100 (MET)

Michael wrote:
> Could this way a socket emulation layer be implemented even for R5?

You mean a socket layer to R5's vanilla net_server, here?

If I'm right, I would say no:
- the driver would need to interact with R5 net_server, and we don't know
how to do this, nor we want to guess it ;-)
- as we are already in the process of writing an open sourced net stack
replacement for BeOS (which would evolve into the OpenBeOS-NewOS kernel
net stack when time will come), I don't think it's worth the effort.
- no BeOS R5-net_server networks apps expect sockets to act as file
descriptors, except some Unix ports, who where put on BONE-waiting hold when
they needs
these file descriptor sockets...
- big performance hit: another layer, context switching hungry, over an
already slow net_server...

-Philippe.