[openbeosnetteam] Re: skeleton sockets fd support driver

  • From: philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:20:02 +0100 (MET)

Marcus wrote:
>> BTW, for previous [Open]BeOS network api compatibility, BONE's
>> libsocket.so and libbind.so, like libbnetapi.so could be easily symlinked to
>> use this all-in-one libnet.so...
>
> Probably not, but do you really want to support bone api?

Support BONE api, no. Well, I mean yes! But only the BSD sockets part.
Support BONE-compiled applications, yep.
And these are linked against libsocket.so and libbind.so,
plus libbnetapi.so if they use BNet* classes.

Can't we name a symlink "libsocket.so" but make him point to our libnet.so?
I never try myself, dunno, really!

>> Should we put aside this fd socket support until R2,
>
> Why? Isn't it needed by the current applications?
> I think a kernel socket modul is not needed, but the rest is.

Well, original R5 net stack don't offer file descriptor sockets, so no, it's
not needed by current, net_server based, applications.
But, like you, I know that BONE is there too, so are BONE based applications.

I think we need to add file descriptor sockets support, yes, but it's not *the*
priority. *The* priority is build basic net stack (TCP, UDP, ARP, ICMP,
loopbacks, ethernet interfaces).

Seeing this part show (hey Daniel and Axel!) very good and quick progress, I
think it was time to start playing with fd sockets! :-)

Plus, you know, boring job days...

-Philippe