[openbeosnetteam] Re: Integration Q's

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:53:37 CET (+0100)

> Well, now have some code that works to a degree, and seems to be a
> good base
> to build upon, it's time to start expanding "upwards" again.  So,
> here are
> the next round of awkward questions.

Although it's not nice, it's easy.
R5 just don't support it - you have to come up with your own library
which understands what sockets are - that's why you have to call
closesocket() on a socket in R5, not just close().
The kernel don't know anything about this stuff.

When we are going towards OpenBeOS, we should really change this.
This will either be fixed more or less automatically, by moving it into
the kernel, or we'd have to change the kernel, so that it can provide
user-level access to fds (with regard to creating, removing, handling).

Adios...
   Axel.