[openbeosnetteam] Integration Q's

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS Network Team" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:10:53 -0000

Well, now have some code that works to a degree, and seems to be a good base
to build upon, it's time to start expanding "upwards" again.  So, here are
the next round of awkward questions.

- how do we get ioctl requests?
- how do we get socket data?

Basically, what I'm now interested in is if I were to replace the existing
net_server with our version, what code do I need to add to enable it to hook
into the kernel or the kernel to hook into net_server? I mean if I write an
app that calls socket(...) how does the system know to create a socket? I
don't mean the net_stack, I mean the kernel level stuff. More interesting
(and of more immediate need) how do ioctl requests get routed? If I want to
write an app to do the arp stuff, how does the system know that if I call
ioctl(dev...) that dev is owned by the net_server and so the request should
be routed to net_server?

This is what I think we should aim for next (please feel free to yell if you
disagree).

a version of net_server that can be dropped into a beos system to replace
the existing net_server with a couple of simple apps that use it (arp,
ifconfig, ping??).

For this to happen we need to add a socket layer on top of what we have,
answer the above questions and add the necessary code.

Thoughts?

david