[ola] Re: curriculum maps?

  • From: Cathy Bird <cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 01:12:15 -0700 (MST)

Calysta - I was just thinking of this same question as I tossed and turned
tonight. My train of thought followed yours: I plan to highlight the topics of
skill development in my second year classes. We have been mostly focused on
describing up until recently, so that will be the topic of November. It still
needs lots of revisiting and I am formulating an activity for circumlocution
that is akin to a life-size game board (more on that as the idea grows into
reality). December has been a boom of comparison (especially hot is Gale vs.
Peeta) that I plan to take into January for sure, just so I can use the Senor
Wooly activity someone sent in a post! One of my classes is begging to talk
about future and past (imagine all sorts of arm motions signing 'yesterday'),
so that will also factor in but more as a framework for comparing and
narrating.

I am not sure that this follows the suggestions Darcy/OWL have made, however,
but it is so late that I can barely remember my name. I know that a focus on
the curriculum triangle (students/teacher/everything else) will allow you to
declare a topic and still have room to grow it organically. I believe that
declaring a skill topic will do much the same thing, and I found that it really
helps me to bring my thoughts back to that skill when I hit that 'what next'
moment in a class.

Cathy Bird
Middle School French
Colorado Academy