[ola] Re: complete sentences vs. memorized phrases/listing

  • From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:58:14 -0500

I don't know if it's helpful, but I try to look for a variety of sentences.
Given that the same student who produced all the "me _____o" sentences also
produces sentences w/ MI favorito es...", and so on, it sounds more like
they're actually creating sentences with language as opposed to just
producing a list.

The only thing that strikes me as surprising (or suspicious) about your
example is that it so correct. I would expect more errors from a student
who's really starting to create with language. We would expect to see some
overgeneralization of patterns (perhaps "me soy" after learning reflexives,
for example), more interference from internalized English grammar and so on.

As to questions, I think your final point is dead on -- it's not about
whether the closed question is "wrong" but whether you move on to give them
opportunities to create larger chunks of language at another point in the
assessment (this is harder when an assessment is not 1:1 -- recorded
speech, partner work, and so on)

The

--
Thomas Hinkle
English & Spanish Department Coordinator